Friday, January 5, 2018

5th Edition Rebuild - Angwiel II (3rd Edition Tabletop Game)

I started my first campaign of 3rd edition D&D while in college within a couple of months of it being released. One of my brother's coworker's ran the Sunless Citadel adventure for us, our sister, and his wife. We played up to 10th level going by my character sheet. I played a character who was primarily a cleric but also went a bit toward sorcerer with illusion based magic. Statistic-wise, my character was a standard elf, but the GM let me flavor it as a snake-woman of sorts. The character was inspired by a Rifts character with a random cosmetic mutation that had snake-like features though her backstory was very different. This is why this is Angwiel II, the first character to bear the name was the Rifts character. The Angwiel from my Neverwinter Nights 2 campaign (who I should rebuild now that several versions of aasimar have been released) is actually like the fourth character to bear the name and is directly based on a boisterous brawler I had played in a short-lived tabletop campaign in the years after I came back from teaching in Korea. As a note, Angwiel was a name I put together with Tolkien elvish that means "snake maiden". I originally named her race lygiel, which means the same thing in a different dialect of Tolkien elvish. It's not terribly unique.

In the original version she was Cleric 6/Sorcerer 4. I am missing page 2 of my character sheet so I am not certain of what spells, domains, or feats I had chosen for her. But I have the page of her history and the original character sheet had been typed up after the first few adventures with levels at 3/2. So I know her sorcery focused on illusions. Her history is that she appeared to be a normal human until she turned about 15 when her snake-like features started to develop resulting in her parents being executed and herself being driven out of the village. After some years wandering, she came into the court of couatls, lilends, and other celestial serpents which spent a year teaching her. When she left, most of her memory became muddled and she created fake memories to fill in the time but she still had a devotion to the concept of spreading good will through the world. Her sorcery was awakened after an encounter with some incorporeal undead (when I chose to add the second class).

There's a couple of ways that I could build this character in 5th edition. For one thing, I will be using the yuan-ti racial stats though imagining it as a sort of celestial-descended snake race instead. Hermit, Outlander, or Far Traveler are the best fit for backgrounds but since I see she has substantial medical skills, I'll go with Hermit. The class is the issue. I could do a multiclass of cleric/sorcerer as she was originally, I could do an arcana cleric, I could do a divine soul sorcerer, or I could do a celestial warlock. Mechanic wise, the multiclass is the most accurate, but both the divine soul sorcerer and celestial warlock are a better fit for her backstory. In the original game, I used Turn Undead/Channel Positive Energy quite a lot for a variety of purposes, which points to cleric, but I'll still point toward warlock since she's less a servant of a god than she is a servant/descendant of a celestial of some sort. She also had a familiar in the form of a cat with snake-eyes, so this also is a reason to take warlock.

As to stats, the ones I have are as follows:

Strength: 9
Dexterity: 16
Constitution: 10
Intelligence: 14
Wisdom: 18
Charisma: 16

At tenth level, I would have had 2 +1 enhancements. Due to pencil marks I know one of those brought Charisma from 15 to 16. But I think the other was to bring Wisdom from 17 to 18. 3rd Edition elf means the actual roll for Dex was 14 and Con was 12. Since Yuan-ti adds to Charisma and Intelligence, that will create a slightly different stat block. I am also going to spend an Ability Score Improvement on increasing Wis and Cha with the second going toward gaining Skilled to add some of the skills she had at a high level as a 3rd edition character.

Angwiel
Yuan-ti Pureblood Celestial Chain Warlock 10th Level
Str: 9
Dex: 14
Con: 12
Int: 15
Wis:18
Cha: 18

HP: 54
AC: 14 (17 with Armor of Shadows)
Save DC: 16
Speed: 30 ft

Proficiency Bonus: +4

Innate Spellcasting: Charisma

  • Poison Spray
  • Speak to Snakes at Will
  • Suggestion 1/Long Rest
Magic Resistance
Poison Immunity
Darkvision 60ft

Armor Proficiencies: Light Armor
Weapons: Simple Weapons
Tools: Herbalism Kit
Saving Throws: Wisdom, Charisma
Languages: Common, Celestial, Draconic, Elvish

Proficient Skills
Arcana (Warlock) +6
Medicine (Hermit) +8
Nature (Warlock) +6
Perception (Skilled) +8
Religion (Hermit) +6
Stealth (Skilled) +6
Survival (Skilled) +8

Feat: Skilled (Perception, Stealth, Survival)

Background: Hermit

Otherworldly Patron: Celestial
Bonus Cantrips
Healing Light: 11d6
Pact Magic
Eldritch Invocations: Armor of Shadows, Eldritch Spear, Gift of the Ever-Living Ones, Misty Visions, Voice of the Chain Master
Pact Boon: Pact of the Chain
Radiant Soul
Celestial Resilience: Temporary HP on Long Rest 13 Self/8 up to five others

Cantrips: Create Bonfire, Eldritch Blast, Light, Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Poison Spray (Yuan-ti) Sacred Flame

Spell Slots: 2 (5th Level)

Spells: Counterspell, Cure Wounds, Far Step, Hallucinatory Terrain, Greater Restoration, Lesser Restoration, Guardian of Faith, Major Image, Remove Curse, Revivify, Suggestion (Yuan-ti)

Equipment
Amulet of Faith (+2 AC)
Dagger +1
2 Javelins +1
2 Short Swords +1
Bracers of Disguise
2 Healing Potions
Staff of Striking and Healing
Stone Salve
Potion of Invisibility
Scroll of Invisibility vs Undead
Scroll of Fly
Greatsword +2
Lens of Detecting
Scroll of Cloudkill
Scroll of Globe of Invulnerability
Scroll of Mass Suggestion
Potion of Blur
Potion of Spider Climb

No comments:

Post a Comment

Daggerheart Analysis

  Daggerheart - What I've Seen So Far Template-Based Character Builds This will be familiar to players of D&D, Pathfinder 2e...

Popular Posts